Sunday, August 2, 2009

Script Review: Thor

Note: Leave a comment below with your thoughts and your email address to have the script sent to you.

Genre: Fantasy/Super Hero
Premise: Thor, son of the God Odin, is banished to Earth and has to harness the powers of the mighty axe Mjolnir if he wants to return to live among the Gods.
Backstory: Based on the comic series, Marvel is adapting this version to coincide with their Avengers team-up film. Kenneth Branagh is directing. Chris Hemsworth (Pappa Kirk in this year's Star Trek) is set to play the iconic hero. Had to be written due to it's estimated budget being way to large.
Writer: Mark Protosevich (First Draft, dated 4/4/07)


Director Kenneth Branagh alongside the hero in all his comic book glory


I gotta say it. I'm a sucker for a good superhero film. And when it comes to superhero films, Marvel knows how to make them. Their two projects last year, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk reboot set the ball in motion. And it's quickly snowballing into one of my most anticipated films of 2012: The Avengers. Over the next four years Marvel is promising superhero films that crossover with each other and end in a nerd heaven. And after their 2008 pics, I'm not gonna lie, that was the main reason I picked up this script. I was desperately searching through the pages for that Tony Stark or Nick Fury cameo. Unfortunately for me, this script dates back before snow even started falling. (Get what I did there?)

So let's jump right in. I'm not to familiar with this Marvel character. I'd seen him in action in the Ultimate Alliance video game, but I've played that maybe twice at the most. So I was going in fresh. We start off with Thor, his brother Loki, and their band of allies. Thor is the clear leader of this bunch. Just in the way he carries himself we know this guy means something. Then there's his scrawny brother Loki, who at first glance is basically that guy your father makes you include, but you wouldn't associate with if it wasn't for your blood. But there is an underlying respect for these two brothers. They do genuinely care for each other. Anyway, back to the story. So Thor and his buddies were sent by his father, Odin, to get some weapons from this group of gnomes. Well, plans go awry when they are attacked by...Hellstags? You know what? Screw it. I can't remember the names in this script, so bare with me. During the battle, Loki is seperated from the others and this lady, named Ran, notices a birthmark on Loki's chest that significes he's a Jotun. Jotuns are basically rivals to his entire race. Loki isn't just any Juton. He's heir to the Jotun thrown. Aka not good. Turns out Loki was found as a baby by Odin, who raised him as his own flesh and blood. So while this revelation is going on, Thor and his gang save the gnomes, and the Gnome King Ivaldi has to think of a way to repay him. there's only one logical solution. You guessed it! Make him a big 'ol battle axe he calls Mjolnir that grants it's bearer special gnome powers. Ivaldi warns Thor that the powers of the axe are very dangerous in the wrong hands, but Thor being the cocky man he is, wields that thing and and ends up killing one of his own men. Uh oh. There is an uproar against Thor, and Odin has no other choice but to banish his son from the God world and send him to earth and live with us mortals.



Chris Hemsworth is to play the iconic hero Thor


I think this is probably 40 pages worth of material and we don't even have a hint of what the full picture is yet. It's the story of two people's rise to to the top. Thor, who had everything, is now sent to the mortal world, left to fend for himself, and Loki, whose newfound information about his true identy is quickly eating away at him.

So Thor finds himself living among the mortals, basically acting as a slave. But it doesn't take long for him to finally catch a break. What are the gnomes to do with Mjolnir now that Thor was out of the picture? What would you do? Did you say have a giant competition between men from across the land to see which man was worthy enough to weild this magical gnome axe? Cause if you did, you'd be right. It's pretty clear to Thor this is his only option, so he enters this deadly competition to earn his axe back.

Meanwhile, Loki is quickly being filled with anger. Why would Odin not tell him who he really was all these years? Why was he living a lie. Soon we see him begin to stray from his godly path and a plan is set in motion. He has aligned with the Jotuns, and plans on wiping out the Asgardians. duh duh duh. I'm not gonna sit here and say I didn't see this coming, but I really wish Odin had at least done something to wrong Loki. Maybe favor Thor more. (haha. that rhymed.) But no. Loki turns to the dark side because he's adopted. Boo frickin' hoo.

So that's the jist of the story. Thor becoming the man meant to weild Mjolnir, and Loki becoming the man meant to...cause some problems? I don't know. Loki's pretty weak, but his alliance is pretty awesome. There's an awesome, epic, another synonym battle at the end that would have left audiences talking for weeks. If only Marvel had the balls to go through with it. I don't blame them. When's the last time a fantasy has been a hit at the box office? Lord of the Rings? There's a reason all the copycats that followed didn't turn a profit, and it's one important thing they lacked that this has. Quality. And boy does this thing have it. This is an absolute must read, and as long as the overall plot is there, it's a stand in line for hours type a film that I'm sure come 2011 is going to take the box office by storm.

[] Somebody should be fired
[] Bad
[] Mediocre
[] Worth the read
[xx] Great
[] Amazing

114 comments:

Josh Floyd said...

leave a comment with your email address and I'll send you a link to the script.

wFavaro said...

Good review.

I'd love to give the script a try: ravynnet@hotmail.com

Jayce said...

Pretty good review of the story. Woud like to see examples from the script itself or some more critique on the writing itself.

Wouldn't mind giving it a read myself: tatmando_77@yahoo.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for another comic book movie to come out! Great review.

Can you please send me a copy of the script too.

alexrkowal@yahoo.com

Thank you so much in advance.

Anonymous said...

Great review. Nice to have another review site to check up one.

theblackpattern@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Wicked site! Would love to read the script - thanks jabbanut@gmail.com

Josh Floyd said...

I sent you guys the scripts. Feel free to leave your personal thoughts here.

Anonymous said...

Great site. Would love to read the script.

northernsoul000@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Good to see a review site with access to the scripts! Nice work.

Could you send the script please? radio_jaos@mail.com

Anonymous said...

amazing! although i still think they got the casting wrong. send me the script? dooragerz@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I'd love to read the script -- pnselling@yahoo.com -- Thanks!

Coolio D said...

Can you send me a copy
Ben.Howitt@ntlworld.com

theblackpattern said...

Gah! I'm a few pages in, but I'M IN WATERMARK HELL. Thanks a million though. I'll pop back when I'm through with it.

Coolio D said...

I feel like this is a real epic in the making.
However like you I think the reasons for Loki turning evil sound ridiculous.

Josh Floyd said...

Trust me. You get used to the watermark. The story completely takes over and you forget you're even reading the script.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for a Thor movie since I was 14. I'm 46 now...please send me a copy of script at dmp32363@aol.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

great review

adress thescarecrow875@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great review. I'd love to get a copy as well.

JMarsick@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great site! Can't wait to read the script and match it to your great review.


Descent0192@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Interesting review; how do you think the opening sequence will play on film?

thor145@mailinator.com

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome!!

romeothepirate@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great review sounds ok.. i'd love to see more detail so send me copy please!!
Get-Out_69@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

nice script

sounds like a really cool epic fantasy-film with superhero elements, i cant wait to see what revitions they done to it though

great site and thanks for the script!

Anonymous said...

dkbates88@yahoo.com

hope to hear from you soon i would love to read the script.

Anonymous said...

Knoll1749@charter.net

I'm not so keen on the axe instead of hammer.. not a huge fan of ultimate thor, and also it should be dwarves not gnomes.. but hey I would love to check out the script and get and idea for myself..

theblackpattern said...

Jeez, the final battle scene reads like it could run almost 30+ minutes by itself. Thor's flying felt a little cheesy, as did some of the more classic, romanticized 'hero' aspects, but what could I expect? If Martin Short isn't cast to the play Ivaldi, I refuse to see this movie. Hahaha.

Chris 2645 said...

Good review! Would love to have a read of it myself, please! chrisf3k@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

cool site, wrightmatt88@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

GREAT REVIEW!! Cant wait for this movie to come out... Hell, I'm excited for anything that this movie touches (casting , pics, trailers, comiccon)

Forkedproductions@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Sick review .. Movie sounds amazing.

gerou_55@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Please visit http://www.exteriorexpertsofvirginia.com/ or http://www.directmailadvertizingsite.com/

Anonymous said...

Really curious about the feel of the movie.

karmapolis03@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Splendid review, currently one of my most anticipated comic book movies alongside X-men Origins: Magneto and The Avengers.

jsayson15@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

What happen with JANE FOSTER???

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Great review. Very excited for this! :-)

nathanharms21@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Great review! I'm something of a fan of Thor and I'm intrested to see how he's going to fit into the over reaching Avengers storyline.

Hammerstrike@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Can I get a copy of the script as well?

RichardPilon39@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

it better be a hammer not an axe and i dont like the competition for the hammer its too much like excalibur hail and kill

Unknown said...

This makes me anticipate the movie much more!

Can I have a copy of the script? Thanks in advance!

mjohnson@marlboro.edu

Hoyce Frankfurt said...

Dude, you're probably ran over with requests, but if ya could send me a copy, that'd be great

Malbranque420@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thor forever

thor9@centrum.sk

Anonymous said...

great review. if you could still send the copy

grieve014@aol.com

thanks in advance

Anonymous said...

cobyyork@yahoo..nice review, and id love to be able to read this..i appreciate it

Blanko said...

Nice work.

oetc@mi.is

Anonymous said...

you probably are flooded, but I'd appreciate it

jjphillips@northwestern.edu

Anonymous said...

Cool Cool

eclipsednobody@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great. I've heard about it for some time now but I haven't been able to trace the script. Please send me a link to it.
richardtheunwilling@hotmail.com
Thanks!

anthuswilliams said...

Just discovered the site. Thor sounds awesome. I know you're likely overrun with script requests but if you could send it to anthuswilliams@gmail.com, I'd really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

sounds amazing! i would be eternally grateful to you if i could possibly read the script. yodonvito1087@yahoo.com

thanks!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind reading a copy of it.

Email is pzollner14@netscape.net

Anonymous said...

Looking foward to the movie and would love to read the script as well. Thank you.

email is: metaldrew18@aim.com

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't mind reading this. Please send :)

adamwozney@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Gotta check this out! Please!!

orbinwalcott@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

My email:

pwnedyall70@yahoo.com

thanks!

Anonymous said...

That sounds pretty awesome! I would love to read the script.

Anonymous said...

My email is madonnamd@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

great review send me a copy pleas.

Dmx228@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Excellent script review! It sounds great. Many thanks if I could get a copy!

rebirth9000@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Wonderful script review, would love to review it myself. Thanks in advance


ThrashJunkie714@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Fantastic review - I was anticipating a lot less focus on Loki in the beginning, but he got a lot attention, which I thought I wouldn't like, but grew to like him the most. His character was so well developed. My fear is when making this they will hunker down too much into "fantasy" and potentially alienate viewers who want the raw power of a "superhero" movie. Thankfully, there are a ton of action sequences, but still I'm concerned.

Thanks for the script!

Anonymous said...

Also - the actual movie will be much different as this script was pretty much rewritten. They are taking the Dr. Blake angle and sending Thor to medical school...

Anonymous said...

I'd love the script too.

Warriorand1@hotmail.com

Thanks a bunch.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to read the script too
aragorn@parentproject.org

E. R. said...

I'm a huge Marvel Comics fan and your review's made me even more anxious to see this movie than I already was. I'd love to check the script out myself too. My email is:

mystichunter009@yahoo.com

Larry said...

Thanks for the review.

Can u still send script?

omshantihariom@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Larry said...

I just read some post-review comments by you ans appreciate the time and effort you put in to get us this info. Keep up the great work and good luck on new scoops and scripts!

Daniel Acosta said...

Awesome review! Can't wait for the film.

Can you send me the script pretty please?
djasinger@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Sweet review!

Can you please email me the script.

thespideyguy@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

thx for the great review could you please send me the script. Now i'm dying to read it.
arshad_jahangier@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

It seems like a good script. Thanks for the review. I'll be grateful if you could send the script to ritual_zod@yahoo.com

Taylor said...

I'd love a copy of this, if you're still emailing it out:
thenexttolastmohican@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Please send to:
luca.buccella90@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

can someone who has this please post a link to a link? no one is floating this around anymore

Anonymous said...

Great review, my email is vallickuberjedi@aol.com

I'd love a copy of the script

dirteestank1n said...

yo plz sum1 throw dis link up

Tim said...

please send to TSimon444@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to read the script!

bigatir2@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Any way I could grab the script?

americasidiot123@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

can you send me the script please

bouroux@videotron.ca

Anonymous said...

Barefootmud@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

2300861@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Please, could you send me the script?

mischievous.eyes@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

email is bikerboy10@yahoo.com
thanks

Roberto Pedro Martinez said...

Hey, can you please e-mail this to me...
robertopedromartinez@gmail.com

Thanks!

pappy said...

I know someone reading this has it. throw a link up!

Anonymous said...

Please send it to me wtyazzie2000@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

im a sucker for comic book adaptations.

mahalkita217@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'd love script please!

bandedjustice@aol.com

Unknown said...

could you please email me the script too? :) my address is afterhourss@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'd really love to give this a read.

drgahnzo@hotmail.com

Larry said...

hope its as good as your review says it is

can i get the link?
caprice996@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

can i have that script
under_score@pacbell.net

Anonymous said...

i want the script tluna88@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

would love to read it

Silentadvice11@yahoo.com

Samantha said...

s.kacho@comcast.net

If you can find Due Date, that would be cool. I was an extra in an airport scene and got to stand right next to RDJ for a whole day. What I heard of the script sounded good.

Matt Berg said...

wow, really impressive review. would love to read it

pandologia@gmail.com

Grant Berghoff said...

Your reviews haven't led me down astray yet, if you could send me the link I would appreciate it,
Thanks

Anonymous said...

sweet as been try to find this one please send it love to read it if u can email it to me cheers

script_006@live.com.au

Anonymous said...

dnairos[at]hotmail[dot]com
with @ and . in place of [at] and [dot]

Could I get a copy? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i'd also like a link to the script...

jse80_crash@hotmail.com

thanks!

Anonymous said...

could you send a review my way please and thank you!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

could you send me the script
moviecritic08@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited to see this movie. Very anxious now after reading your review. Could you also send me a link to the script?

exency@gmail.com

Thanks!

Freshmen said...

Send it to me at Diamondelise95@yahoo.com
please. :)

Anonymous said...

any chance you could send me the script at preston.sites@hotmail.com? would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Just found this site... would love and appreciate getting the thor script. fongah6@gmail.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Please send a script to harrypotter_willlive@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Djoser3 said...

Cool! Please send a script to
djoser.fortunado@gmail.com

Thanks ahead of time - I've been scouring the internets for
info on how this thing's shaping out.

Anonymous said...

Would love to read. Please send to Roddp2010@gmail.com. thanks

Anonymous said...

A competition? who's gonna be in it? Conan,Hercules,Tarzan,Kratos or sum shit.Oh send it to Nuk.theiceman@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great review!
please send it to dedeogbe@hotmail.co.uk

Unknown said...

Oh please do send a copy my way!

saintfive@msn.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to read this script. I know that the movie is out but I still like to read it. please send it to twilightlady191285@Yahoo.com

Post a Comment