Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The A-Team

Genre: Action
Premise: A group of Iraq War veterans looks to clear their name with the U.S. military, who suspect the four men of committing a crime for which they were framed. Joe Carnahan is directing. Bradley Cooper and Liam Neeson are attached so far. Filming begins this Fall.
Writers: Lawrence Konner & Mark Rosenthal/Current Revisions by Michael Brandt & Derek Haas (dated March 28, 2008)

Well, well, well. I must admit that I wasn't particularly looking for ward to reading this script. I have never seen the show, so I'm not really any sort of fanboy. And often times a movie adaptation of a tv show can end in disaster. So I was very surprised when I started reading The A-Team and I didn't want to stop. It was very entertaining.

I did my research. I know that the original series started off with Hannibal, Face, and Baracus as Vietnam war vets who sentenced for a crime they didn't commit. They escape from jail and are now trying to clear they're names. Along the way, Murdock joins the team. Well, that's pretty much exactly what happens in this script. They brought it to present times, making the boys Iraqi veterans, and then they follow the show's plot very closely.

Let me break it down real quick though for those who haven't seen the show or haven't read the script (yet). Hannibal, B.A., and Face are sentenced to prison for a crime they didn't commit. Well, Face, being the douchebag that he his, manages to get out of jailtime by basically throwing his friends under the bus. Well, Hannibal and B.A. escape from prison and they team-up with a man named Murdock. He's a pilot and he's insane. Like, really insane. Face joins the team again and they must work together to clear their names.

Ok, so that's the plot. But it's not plot people are looking for in a movie like this. It's the action. And this thing delivers. There was action sequence after action sequence, and I found all of them to be exhilarating. I can only imagine what they'll look like on the big screen, and what other visual delights they'll have added by then.

But there is the bad side to things. As always with movies like this, after all the excitement wears off, what are you left with? I found myself asking "why the hell did Murdoch join the team?" Cause it's never explained. I found myself wondering why do I care fir these characters? They've done nothing wrong, but there's pretty much zero character development. But regardless of all it's problems, it did deliver on the one thing it set out to, entertain. I can see this being a big hit at the box office next summer if they market it right. I don't think it will be the last time we see Hannibal and his team up on the big screen.

[] Somebody should be fired
[] Bad
[] Mediocre
[x] Worth the read
[] Great
[] Amazing

Request a script here
Follow me on twitter here
blog comments powered by Disqus